Former Swiss Guard Andreas Widmer, writing in “The Pope & the CEO,” includes a “new to-do-list” in the book. (See the review.) Here is an excerpted version from the Emmaus Road book.
1. Determine who the five to ten most important people in your life are. . . . Ask yourself what small thing you can do to bring them joy every day or week. Then, in the next 30 days, do it.
2. Start keeping a personal log of God’s small wonders, small messages that he gives you every day. Think of it as a gratitude log. Review it daily and rejoice as you give thanks.
3. Think of the activities you enjoy most. Pick four, then make room in your calendar to do each one sometime during the next 30 days.
4. Diligently use up your vacation time every year. No excuses.
5. Make Sundays truly a day of rest. That means no “for profit” work. Instead go to church, and then spend the rest of the day with family or friends. Try the concept of finding ways to purposefully “waste time” with them.